Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Jan is Headed Home!

Dearest Friends and Family,
It is hard to believe that Jan turned 28 this past January 1st. What a blessing her life has been. What joy she has brought to us and what lessons God has taught us in this journey...and yes,many of them were painful but yet I can truly say, we have been made better because of Jan and so have many others. When Mike was dying he said one of the hardest things for him to face was that I may very well have to bury Jan as well as him. I told him that if that happened, I would take much joy in knowing that he would get to be the first to see her walk and talk. He would also be the first to find out what she was really thinking when she cracked up at all the silly things we did and said to get her to laugh! : ) It appears Jan will join Mike very soon. She has steadily declined over the past year and the past two weeks her body has gradually started to shut down and her system just will no longer absorb her feedings. Her little body is worn out. She has lost down to 51 pounds and as of yesterday, the doctor has stopped her tube feedings permanently. She is on pain meds every four hours and resting peacefully. Yesterday before they made the decision to totally discontinue the feedings, Jan was coughing continually and it was formula that was coming up. The team from Hospice and the nursing home have worked so hard to do every thing for Jan that they can. (I must add that even the Children's Center has sent help to change Jan's trach as her weight loss has called for a different size trach twice now and Jan is the only trach patient Oklahoma Christian Home has ever had so the expertise of the Children's Center has been invaluable.) Today since the feedings have been totally stopped, Jan is no longer struggling with the fluids. Her blood pressure is slowly dropping and her heart beat is irregular. Her temp is around 102. The doctor feels Jan has hours or a few days at most. She has fought the good fight and has lived a precious life of love. She has suffered much as well. I can let go knowing that she will finally be whole, and I do feel in my heart it is time for her to go Home. Ben and Steph and I feel His peace and His presence. Please join us in prayer for Jan that her journey Home would be in His perfect timing. I have one more request, if Jan has touched your life in some special way...would you please share it with me. Ben and I want to compile a copy of some of the ways God has used Jan...many of the stories we know...but some of you hold precious stories in your hearts that we do not know. We would love to have you share them with us. I know for some of you this e-mail will be a shock and I am sorry. This has been gradually unfolding but has suddenly accelerated and I knew if I was going to let you know, I had to do it like this and now. I am not trying to stay with Jan as I did in years past. I am talking often with Hospice and since I am only 5 minutes away, I can be there quickly in case of change and they have promised to call me in the night should things step up. I guess I am rambling now...I am just trying to think of the things you might wonder about and fill them in but I will stop for now. Thank you for your prayers, In Him, Pam

No comments: